So, you've decided to take a break from all the schmoozing with celebrity chefs at the Barbados Food, Wine and Rum Festival, and you want to experience the best of Barbados. We have a few suggestions. Check out our slideshow of things to do while on the island and read our top 5 picks below.
1. Hit the beach. There are more than 70 miles of beach to explore in Barbados with no shortage of water sports. Snorkel with sea turtles, go jet-skiing or just drift in a small sail boat. The most pristine beaches are in the south, while surfers will find paradise in the east at Bathesheba.
2. Go to the Oistin’s Fish Fry. Everybody is there on Friday nights, so don’t be the only one to miss out on some of the best food the island has to offer. Stop by Pat’s for the fried or grilled flying fish platter for a mere $10. Have a Banks, the local beer, to wash it all down, then stroll around the open food and craft market and join in the dancing to reggae and soca beats.
3. Take in the island’s natural beauty. Find a friendly local taxi driver or rent a car (Be careful, they drive on the left side of the road here.) to explore the coast of Barbados. North Point at the northernmost tip of the island in St. Lucy Parrish features plunging views of the Caribbean from a craggy rockface with swirling whirlpools below. Drive inland to visit Harrison’s Cave and go deep into its limestone core to see stunning stalagmite and stalactite formations.
4. Take a rum tour. Barbados is the home of Mount Gay Rum, the world’s oldest rum, dating back to 1703. The tour in Bridgetown features tastings of its various labels from light for mixing to dark for sipping on the rocks.
5. Party in St. Lawrence Gap. Every city has one. It’s the strip where everyone goes to party. In Barbados, it is known as “The Gap.” Tourists and locals alike flock to the street lined with bars like the Reggae Lounge and McBride’s to hear DJs and live bands play the latest hip-hop, pop, reggae and soca.
Want more suggestions on things to do in Barbados? Check out our informative, but inspiring slideshow, Explore Beautiful Barbados.