By George Motz

George Motz is the host of Burger Land. Check out behind-the- scenes photos from the show, and be sure to tune in to learn more about America’s burgers!

It all started with a documentary I made years ago called Hamburger America. The film visits 8 iconic and unique hamburger locations across the country and focuses not only on their amazing burgers, but also the people behind the burgers. Each restaurant featured in the film has been around for more than 40 years, uses only fresh meat, and in many cases can boast the fact that ownership has stayed within the same family.

Hamburger America aired on television and the book soon followed. Now in its revised form, Hamburger America, features 150 of the best roadside stands, nostalgic diners and mom ‘n pop burger joints. But it wasn’t just the tasty burgers that held my interest in American burger culture. It was the people. I was inspired to learn the rich histories behind each of the burger joints that I loved. And a decade later I’m still on a mission to preserve the great American hamburger.

Burger Land is the result of many years of traveling, eating, writing, and photographing hamburgers in America. Much like the book, Burger Land is a regional show where the viewer is immersed in a region of America that has great burgers. Equally though, the show profiles some of my hamburger heroes, because without them there would be no burgers.

One episode explores what I like to call the Wisconsin Burger Belt, or the latitudinal route between Milwaukee and Prairie Du Chien, Wisconsin. In the show I get to revisit my friends at Wedl’s, Pete’s and of course Solly’s Grille in Glendale, WI. The episode ends with a visit to a place in the region that I have not been to before, in this case it’s Village Bar in Madison. A second episode visits New Jersey with stops at White Manna, Rossi’s and one of my personal favorites: White Rose System in Linden. The New Jersey episode ends with a visit to a new joint in Newark called Hamburgao that serves a crazy Brazilian take on the burger.

The hope is that Burger Land inspires people to get on the road and eat what I like to call ‘primary source’ American hamburgers. A visit to any of my favorites can guarantee a great time, but more importantly it will help to preserve a sometimes overlooked part of American food history.

For more, check out George’s recipe for the Smashed Motz Burger, learn about his New Burger Finds and visit some of the Great Burger Joints in the Middle of Nowhere

Food

1. Rev says:

This show is WAY over due. So excited!

2. [...] Sunday, September 2nd at 7:00 and 7:30 pm (EST/PST – 6/6:30pm CST) for the World Premiere of Burger Land on the Travel [...]

3. Burger Maker says:

i cant wait to see the original Burger expert strut his stuff

4. Condimented says:

how many potato rolls will we see in total?

5. Todd England says:

You must travel to Illinois. We have the ORIGINAL Burger King. Its not affiliated with the franchise at all. Its located in Mattoon and they have some of the best burgers EVER. I suggest the double. We also have the Moonshine burger located in Moonshine, IL. It is a "town" of only two people and they cook some fat juicy burgers from 6am to 12:30pm only. Its a big biker destination as well.

6. Jim Dennis says:

If traveling through Missouri,please stop in at Booche's in Columbia Mo for the best cheeseburger in America,no special secrets just simple and good…..don't ask for fries they don't serve em'

7. Don says:

George, when you goto Nebraska go to the bowling alley in Dodge,NE and when inTexas go to Morris Neal's Handy Hamburgers in Cleburne,TX

8. betsy davidson says:

Hungry for more!

9. Mary says:

Great show!!

10. Veronique says:

Fabulous show!!! Just wonderful!!! I can't wait to see more…….

11. Dede Adams says:

Great show! Can't wait to see more episodes!

12. G M DAHLE says:

i REALLY LIKE THE SHOW, I HOPE TRAVEL CHANNEL ORDERS MANY NEW EPISODES OF BURGERLAND

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK GEORGE !!

13. ronnie says:

boo hoo! I missed it! Will travel channel show it again?

14. El Mago says:

George The Bada-Bing of Burgers !!!

15. Newbomb says:

George – come to Bryan/College Station, Texas and visit the Top of the Hill grocery (in Benchley, right outside of town) and Margie's Bar & Grill in downtown Bryan. Also, Joe's Place and the Dixie Chicken/Chicken Oil Co. have some great burgers.

16. tiraymon says:

Congratulations George. You are amazing!!

17. jen says:

LOVED the show – George you are adorable and I predict a huge female following :)

18. Deuce2 says:

More Burger Land Please!!!

19. Richard Williams Jr. says:

I was home with a stomach virus watching and i just could not stop. This show is fantastic. It made me so hungry and I want to get well soon so I can eat a Burger . New Jersey is not that far from Philly . I am looking Fwd to more adventures with George

20. Brett says:

Gotta stop by the Haunted Hamburger in Jerome when you are in Arizona

21. TheRealBurgerExpert says:

He's never seen someone steam cheese on a burger with a lid and pot lid and some ice. Motz knows nothing about burgers as far as I'm concerned. Where's he been all his life….he must have been born in a McDonalds.

22. john giustino says:

In chicago sububs go to Cary, illinois to a little place called Tracks right across from the train station best burgers in illinois

23. mel says:

can ya find a good burger in Western Washington? something that's greasy and plain with just onions and cheese? something like those seen in Wisconsin and Jersey?? I get so tired of the veggie burger patty, loaded with salad (fer christ's sake) on a stale whole wheat bun that's so prevalent here in Seattle.

24. Spencer says:

I recommend visiting Voss' roadside hamburger stand in Utica/Yorkville NY. Family-owned for 100 years, it's a staple for central NY burger lovers. My personal favorite is the Cheeseburg ATW which comes topped with ketchup mustard onions pickles and relish, all on a toasted bun. I've been to hundreds of burger joints and this is a hidden secret that needs to be shared with the world. I would gladly accompany you to this burger heaven.

25. Colleen says:

I would recommend you guys visiting Draft's in Park City Utah. They have big juicy burgers that I just love. My favorite is the garlic burger on the pretzel roll. They do a great job. You get to pick your meat like chicken, angus beef, etc. They even have veggie burgers. Then you pick your roll and your toppings. Check them out. You won't be sorry!

26. Mico says:

You featured a burguer joint in West Covina California on 4/15/13 show, what is that place called?

27. Frank says:

Thanks for such an interesting article here. I was searching for something like that for quite a long time and at last I have found it here theslimmingsupermarket.co.uk