Dig Wars

Tonight at 10|9c, catch back-to-back premieres of Travel Channel’s all-new series Dig Wars, where 3 teams of America’s best relic hunters compete head-to-head to find the most valuable artifacts at different historic locations across the country. Once on site, the teams have from sun-up to sundown to apply all of their knowledge, resources and hustle to ensure a victory.

First, the relic hunters head to Louisiana to explore Fort Saint Phillip — an abandoned military outpost that has been closed to visitors since Hurricane Katrina. Will they find artifacts uncovered by the disastrous storm?

Then at 10:30|9:30c the teams head to Eastover Plantation in southeastern Virginia — land that was settled in the mid-1600s — in an attempt to find relics that predate the United States.

What will the 3 teams find, and how much will it be worth? Find out tonight on Dig Wars!

TV

1. ALL EMPLOYEE says:

YEAH BUDDY GO FISHER,BOUNTYHUNTER,TEKNETICS MUCH LOVE FROM HOME TOWN EL PASO TX

2. "Doc" Baker says:

Dig Wars: A refreshing reality show with real people following their passion, makes it an enjoyable new series. It was fun to watch.

3. Michael DeAngury says:

Travel Channel,

I enjoyed the new show "Dig Wars" on the Travel Channel. It is refreshing to see the hobby of relic hunting/metal detecting portrayed in a more favorable manner on television than what we have previously been subjected to. I appreciated how some of the better relic finds were highlighted with accompanying historical context and the realistic appraisels that were applied after the hunt. Most of all, it was pleasureable and entertaining to see everyone having fun doing what they enjoy doing. The passion for their hobby of relic hunting was obvious. Oh, and about Larry accidentally putting a hole through Mike's button. That happens more than most people think. I have done it myself and seen it done. That's why I'm always a bit apprehensive when it comes to coonfingering other peoples relics. What I appreciated about that part of the show is how realistic that moment was. Not sure whose idea the penny pitch was or if it was fabricated just for the show but things like that do happen but more by landowners that don't care for relic hunters or have had problems with relic hunters tresspassing on their property. I have also heard of pennies being taped to the bottom of coils. It doesn't always turn out to be the joke you thought it was going to be.

Well done Travel Channel. Looking forward to future episodes of "Dig Wars".

Michael in Charlotte AKA Panther Mike

PS: For some reason my DVR said the two episodes recorded were episodes 2 & 3. Did I miss one?

• Lewis Binford says:

It's not relic hunting, it's called looting. You can try to make it sound better, but it's not.

• Jack off says:

You my friend need to realize that no one knew it was there. you walk over stuff everyday and have no idea what is there .. looting is doing so from graves and tombs thank you very much!

4. Michael DeAngury says:

Travel Channel,

Well done Travel Channel. Looking forward to future episodes of "Dig Wars".

Michael in Charlotte AKA Panther Mike

5. DougJ says:

I didnt know this show existed. Where can I see these episodes. I love relic hunting and would love to see these episodes.

6. Guest says:

Really? Didn't you pay attention to what happened when the National Geographic Channel and Spike TV did this?

7. HistoryGuru says:

As an FYI it is a felony to use metal detectors or dig on federal property without a permit. Most forts are on federal property, like Fort Saint Phillip, and protected under these laws.

"With the growing popularity of metal detecting, and the possibility of discovering treasures, one automatically thinks of exploring historical sites. Think again! Federal law prohibits the possession and use of metal detectors on federal property.

In addition to metal detecting, federal law also prohibits relic hunting, digging for artifacts, and removing artifacts or historical objects. These acts are illegal and can lead to confiscation of equipment, arrest, and prosecution as a felony under federal law. Penalties may include fines of up to $10,000 and possible prison time."

8. DIRTY BYRD 67 says:

At least they could of put the correct sound with the correct detector?? All those metal detecting experts around and you would of thought the sounds crew could of asked??? What a freaking joke!!!!

OH!! And the show too!!! A FREAKIN JOKE!!!!

9. Chris says:

I cant wait till shows like this are shut down. It will happen, most are in violation of state and federal law. The show on spike t.v. has been sued by the state of Montana. Stop looting archaeological sites!

Signed,

A real archaeologist

10. Sam says:

Ya know….the peoples passion for the hunt is great……I too love to detect and if its only a pennie dug up after years of being burried…….I know that excitement……..I just hope a lot of this series hasnt been to areas "salted" with relics. Scripted reality shows are hard to ingest and digest just knowing that they are scripted.

11. BrB says:

This makes me very sad. As an archaeologist, this show is glorifying site looting. It is our job to protect our history and heritage and seeing our historical sites being disturbed and looted makes me sick. If everyone where to visit these sites and take an artifact, we are not only destroying any potential scientific research but there will eventually be nothing left. Please stop calling it "relic hunting" and realize for what this really is… looting of our history.

• Ozzie Osborne says:

Looting?, not really. Did you not pay attention at the beginng?. Permission was given by the land owners, all finds were going to a museum after the filming. I'm sure Ron and Larry followed the letter of the law on all the digs. Not all detectorist are relic hunters. I am a water hunter, mainly for lost modern coins and jewelery. I have returned over 300 items to people, such as family heirlums and wedding bands. What about the clubs that help law enforcement with searchs for evidence?. What about the club that worked with state archie's at the Custer battle field. They didn;t dig anything, just marked metal targets in the ground. It re-wrote the history of the battle.. Look into Englands detecting laws, that's what we need here. How about the archie who took bones home to examin, only to find out he had disturbed a murder scene> Or the one caught selling relics on Ebay? Were not all looters Archie, just as your not all saviors of history. Ozzie Osborne, detectorist.

12. Mark Cogenvich says:

My name is Mark Cogenvich. I am the President of the Plaquemines Parish Historical Assoc. I would like to talk to someone about the show at Fort St. Phillips. You can contact me on my email. It is very important that we talk. Thanks Mark

13. John says:

Saw the show by chance and instantly loved it. It even made me want to go buy a beginner Metal Detector because it looked like a lot of fun and an awesome hobby. This has to be by far the favorite "wars" series out there. Keep them Coming!

14. dan beavers says:

Can anyone tell me what happens after the team wins. How did these people get picked. I know I am as good as all the people in the show and I wasn't called.
    You say this is showing good light as appose to american digger I can see that but it taints use to the land owner. It will get to the point where you ask someone to be on their property they will be looking to get paid.

Dan

15. Mike says:

Nice to see yet another National Historic Landmark looted for personal gain on a cable network that should know better. What a national embarrassment, I didn't think you could gutterball Spike TV but there's always room at the bottom. Stay classy, Travel Channel.

16. rushali says:

It will be fun to see..

17. DaveN says:

Looting historical sites is wrong and in many cases illegal. Leave this work for trained archaeologists. Shame on you Travel Channel for encouraging such activities.

18. KCorb says:

I believe a more accurate term for "relic hunter" is "looter." Here we go again. Another show glorifying the wholesale destruction of archaeological sites and the information they contain about our past. How about an episode devoted to the laws that govern how and when archaeological artifacts can be taken from sites?

19. Linda says:

Just one more way to encourage looting. Great job Travel Channel! : (

20. Deb says:

I would like to know what happens to the artifacts they dig up. Do they have to turn them over to the proper authorities? I thought it was illegal to dig on national land

21. Bill says:

I watched your Dig Wars and thought it would be about finding lost articles but to my dismay out of the half hour only a small part was actually digging and finding articles. Most of the show was scripted over acting and an exact cpy of many other shows where you pause and like I said have the "actors" make an unrealisic scene to try and hype up the show. You should take the metal detector cammercial where they are serious about finding treasure and act like it as a model. I have been metal detecting for years and have gone to digs where there are a hundred people and not ONE acts like a little girl when he finds something.

22. Dr. Digg says:

Love this show …… As a Life Long Digger its great to see real diggers getting dirty . Great show …keep it coming

23. dean says:

Keep digging! What difference does it make if people dig up old junk ammo, buttons, etc from a "historical site"? I enjoy the show and intend to dig for relics when I have time.

24. Guest says:

It's too bad that most people have no idea that there is a discipline called "historical archaeology," which examines historic sites in a controlled manner so that we can learn about the past, not just loot it. So much of what happened in the past was either not written down or was recorded inaccurately, or with some sort of agenda. The archaeological deposits, however, cannot lie and can also tell a great story. Shows like this promote illegal (or at least unethical) behavior and should be cancelled before more harm is done. I now have another cable channel to stop watching.

• RyanChappell says:

Too bad most archaeologist are too busy working on politically correct interest to look for colonial and US historic information. They apparently want these objects to rot in the ground, and spend very little time looking for any artifacts, and most of their time politicizing, writing, and lecturing.

25. guest says:

where in the world did they dig up the morons on the show? myself and 3 crusty old farts dig up more relics then those idiots will ever find. our GARRETTS will always kick their butts

26. it is wonderful show.. i like this..

27. jeff says:

Whats up with all you cry babies? Ain't anyone looting any sites, its a scripted show. All you liberal tree huggers need to pipe it down!!! Couple of people out digging buttons out of the dirt, and you act like its all dug up and history has been tampered with. All these areas were accessed with permission, and all the artifacts found were put where people could see them, enjoy them, and be educated by them. I'm sure you would rather have them rot in the dirt, and serve no historical value as it could disturb the ground much like the tractors and discs turning the dirt where they found the stuff.

28. bob says:

your team of competors should come to Englewood florida they tore down a casino about 80 years ago out on the bay at low tide it very very shallow would like to see your show come to florida thanks it a good show

29. Shovel Bum says:

What's going on with all this glorification of looters, all these shows need to be shut down before our history is lost forever. All that these shows demonstrate is that history is for sale, how sad.

30. Gtfm says:

Really, If the "artifacts" were that relevant to U.S. history don't you think the government should get them out of the ground? As a life long detectorist i have always found it funny that "artifacts" are better off rotting in the ground than being dug up by someone for personal or private collection who is enjoying them 10" inches under the dirt? Ohh lets leave them and eventually they will be out of the reach of even the worlds best detectors. In NY we cannot even detect in our own taxpayer funded parks. Trust me before posting a opinion follow a person who metal detects around for a day and see the amount of trash you leave behind, that we clean up.. I'll ask you whom is really ruining these sites??

31. Tamore Romer says:

good work

32. Roders Wizzer says:

You are doing great job keep it up!!!
    Ghana Dealers of Massey Ferguson

33. Arnold says:

The "old" detector they make fun of on the Antietam episode is a Tesoro…possibly a Tejon based on the color. Still trying to figure out what the others are using.

34. The Travel Channel says:

Thank you for writing a favorable review as requested. Your check should arrive in 7-10 days. Please review the Terms of Service that will arrive with payment and review it as closely as possible as your future payments rely upon your discretion. Again, thank you for participating in our program.

-The Travel Channel