Whether you’re looking to escape the winter cold or chase it, there are plenty of affordable places to visit this winter without breaking the bank. Several airlines are running amazing winter fare sales on domestic and international destinations, many under $300 round-trip. Here are 5 of the cheapest winter fares right now.
1. Denver. If you’re flying out of Houston, Spirit Airlines has fares as low as $71 round-trip to Denver during select dates in January and March. This is by far one of the best domestic winter fares, and a great chance to hit the slopes. To search for low airfares out of your hometown, visit Kayak Explorer and enter your home airport, and the map will generate a list of all the low fare options for domestic winter destinations.
2. Scandinavia. While Oslo may not sound like the most appealing destination in the dead of winter, Norwegian Air Shuttle is offering some amazing fares that make this winter trip worthwhile. New York to Oslo can be booked for just $292 round-trip (taxes included), while Los Angeles to Stockholm is as low as $368 round-trip. These fares are on par with many domestic fares, so if you can stand the cold, Norwegian Air is an amazingly cheap way to visit Europe.
3. Caribbean. Who would have thought airfare to the Caribbean would be affordable? That’s exactly the case, though, with flights between New York and Grand Cayman currently available for just $302 in January and February. Fares to Puerto Rico are equally enticing, with JetBlue offering flights to Ponce, in southern Puerto Rico, for $294 in January. Delta is getting in on the action, with winter fares under $330 to Aguadilla and San Juan.
4. Central America. Central America is a great place to visit if you’re looking for affordable international fares, on par with low domestic fares. If you’re flying out of San Francisco or New York, you can book San Jose, Costa Rica and San Salvador for under $270 round-trip. Meanwhile, you can get round-trip fares between San Francisco and San Jose for around $268 through February. These fares are good from December to February 2014.
5. South America. It’s no surprise South America is on the list; it’s an affordable region to travel to in general. Head to Quito, Ecuador or Lima, Peru, in January; you’re looking at fares out of New York and Houston for under $300 round-trip.
Contributor Ariana Arghandewal publishes the points and miles blog Pointchaser. She is also the managing editor of Frugal Travel Guy and FlyerTalk. With more than 1.5 million miles saved up, she looks forward to traveling to unconventional places and sharing her experience with readers. You can follow Ariana @PointChaser or connect with her on Facebook.