Parachute Jump at Steeplechase Park, Coney Island

Photography by SuperStock / Getty Images

In the 1920s and 1930s, the renowned Coney Island Boardwalk, located in the Brooklyn borough of New York City, was home to one of America’s biggest amusement park destinations. Opened from 1903 to 1964, Steeplechase Park — one of the first Coney Island amusement parks — was one of the leading attractions of its day.

Pictured above, Parachute Jump — the only part of Steeplechase Park still standing today — towers over a bustling Coney Island in the 1950s. Originally built for the New York World’s Fair in 1939, the ride quickly became a NYC landmark. And although it discontinued operating when the park closed, the “Eiffel Tower of Brooklyn,” as it’s often called, became listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

Today, Coney Island remains a popular summer attraction, chock-full of fun and entertainment the whole family can enjoy.

Check back every week in August for our Vintage Summer Throwback Thursdays!

You May Also Like:
Coney Island Boardwalk Video
Best US Boardwalks
Top 10 Amusement Parks
Vintage Summer Pictures

1. Randee says:

I remember walking the boardwalk with my dad and he said I could ride the parachute when I was grown up. I did and it was exhilarating !

2. dolires freyre says:

My husband and my sister got on it, its was amazing, love Steeplechase park we always went with my father miss those days, glade I was part of it._

3. Denis says:

"Infamous" – you mean more than famous?!

4. teddy says:

Love steeplechase the racing horse and parachute jump were the best coney island rocks

5. Pnr Status says:

Parachute Jump is really adventurers, i have done it several times, it feels amazing. I haven't done it on this island but i will surely do.

6. nice trip, i wanna visit this place!

7. Traveller says:

Wow, I wish I can come to this place and do the parachuting while eating pop corn. LOL.

8. Why not make the parachuting in the plane rather than doing it here? I think it is more challenging to do in the real world of sky diving.

9. PNR Status says:

I will be there soon do parachute jumping. I my to do list for sure.

10. jeane fonday says:

a university thesis for research I must search sites with relevant information on given topic and give them to teacher our opinion and the article. Your post helped me a lot obat kolesterol tinggi Toko Obat Herbal Veherba