Zak Bagans among the crypts at St Michan's Church

Standing among the crypts at St Michan’s Church

Recently back from filming the Ghost Adventures 2-hour Halloween special in Ireland, Zak Bagans shares his tips for traveling to the country so known for its folklore, haunted castles and mythical creatures. Zak offers his advice on where to go and what to eat when searching for ghosts among the rolling green hills of Ireland. Tune in Friday, October 31 at 9|8c to watch Zak investigate Dublin and beyond.

What brought you to Ireland?

Ireland is steeped with so many mystical legends and so much dark history, it is literally a land of fantasy for the Ghost Adventures Crew. We wanted to investigate tales of the devil himself by visiting 2 locations and exploring other places said to be inhabited by ancient Celtic demons and spirits.

What were your expectations while filming in Ireland?

To be immersed in a different time period. I had visions of old castles, green land drenched with rain, old thatch-roofed villages with plumes of smoke coming from the fireplaces … and it was exactly as I imagined it would be. While I was there to find the devil and his demons, I never found a 4-leaf clover, even though I spent days looking for one in between filming.

What were some unforgettable moments?

My favorite food is corned beef and cabbage. I made it a mission to find a historic old Irish pub that served authentic corned beef and cabbage, and I did at a place called O’Neill’s in Dublin. It was amazing. We also stayed in a celebrity chef’s hotel, called the Dunbrody Country House Hotel (as well as the Kinnitty Castle Hotel — pictured below). Chef Kevin Dundon was very cool, and we hung out with him during our stay there. His pub served the best fish and chips I’ve ever had. I’m tearing up right now because I miss those fish and chips so badly … I have to go now.

Kinnitty Castle Hotel in Offaly, Ireland

Kinnitty Castle Hotel in Offaly, Ireland

Do you have recommendations on things to do in Ireland?

I’d say don’t go to Ireland to do modern things — immerse yourself in its Viking and medieval history. Visit St. Michan’s Church in Dublin, and tour the crypts where you can see bodies falling out of the collapsed coffins. Take a cautious drive (the roads are scary) into the country, and visit the old castles and houses. You really can time travel back into history there, and the scenery is like a fantasy movie. It’s so breathtaking, I miss it already. It was just so peaceful there.

Any tips for planning a trip to Ireland?

Be VERY careful if you rent a car and try to drive. The country roads are EXTREMELY narrow, and you literally have to pull over into the grass when passing an on-coming car. Visit the little country towns, and try to find the ice cream men who drive vans — the ice cream cones with flake will really help you fuel up to find ghosts!

You Might Also Like

Ghost Adventures

Haunted Ireland

Lockdown Your October with Ghost Adventures

Haunted, On Location, TV, TV Shows

1. teresa says:

I wanna go there with you baby

2. Penny says:

Ireland is the only place in the world that I've ever dreamed of visiting and it is to see the historic sites. I was supposed to go there for my 30th birthday but I'd just had a baby, may have to wait until my 40th. Can't wait to see the GAC Ireland specials

3. H. Dowding says:

That sounds wonderful. Your review makes we want to travel Ireland sooner (as I have never been) and I live in England, so it's really not that far compared to travelling from America.
    I love to immerse myself in architecture, history and beauty of old places and have already seen some amazing things and open to new ideas. Churches, catacombs, abbeys, ruins, National Trust Houses, English Heritage, castles, forts… the list is endless.

I'm also used to the narrow roads here in the countryside, so I get where you're coming from, well, I am a Shropshire girl…

When you visit a place, it's like there's never enough time to explore and unlock things even further, even for pure enjoyment. I bet you'll be going back to explore and investigate new places that you didn't have time to, and re-visit some places of interest seen previously.
    There are some places that truly captivate you as a person, and for me mine is York, and neighbouring villages in Yorkshire (ie Knaresborough, Whitby).

4. Cara says:

When does the Ireland Ghost Adventures air?

5. kab says:

Oneils has rude door staff .very aggresive to me and my daughter would never re visit

6. I don't know when the next time I'll be able to get myself over to Ireland, but I am always game for a ghost tour! I'd definitely take Zac's advice about getting into the countryside to explore some old castles and houses.

7. C'ara Carroll says:

im very excited to watch this episode as it is a part of my family history!!!

8. Maggie says:

I was just there for 14 days and so sad I didn't see you! I can't wait for the special. Hope you made it to the Rock of Cashel in Tipperary – its very special.

9. Craig Coomer says:

Would love to go to My Motherland with the GAC team. I can protect Zak from any Clowns or Dolls. Oh yeah, leprechaun are included. ;-)

10. Linda says:

My husband and I have been to Leap Castle. Ask Sean to play his "whistle" for you. An amazing place. Just walking up the winding stone stairs was a feat in itself. Neat to have bats flying in and out of the Bloody Chapel. No windows. He told me to walk by the oubliette and something told me to stay back. Didn't know what it was then. Now I know……

11. Linda says:

My husband and I have been to Leap Castle-quite an amazing place to visit. Ask Sean to play his "whistle" for you-just wonderful! Just trying to climb up the stone spiral staircase is a feat in itself. He told me to walk around the stone wall in the Bloody Chapel and something told me not to. That is where the oubliette is. Didn't know what that was then. Now I do…. There were bats flying in and out of the Bloody Chapel windows that had no glass in them. Quite an experience and that was in the daylight!

12. sara says:

the banshee does care for life. Banshees are not harmful or evil unless she is caught crying. they care for the old families deeply and is at times called women of peace and spirit of air.

13. jenny says:

I thought the show was well done, the cat was creepy, seeing what was going on with aaron had my hair stand on end, I knew that door was going to move zak, and man there was so much going on, ill just keep watching it to catch it, so much to absorb. Anyway great job guys, keep up the good work!

14. Probrick says:

Awesome tourist attraction. I'm definitely stopping there on my next European trip