Tonight at 9|8c, on an all-new episode of Burger Land, George Motz visits the birthplace of the hamburger: Connecticut. The oldest hamburger restaurant in America, Louis’ Lunch has been serving hamburgers since 1900 when Louis Lassen created the American staple by putting ground steak scraps between 2 pieces of bread. Today, people (like George!) make the pilgrimage to Louis’ Lunch for a taste of this historic burger.
Then after the episode, at 9:30|8:30c, chat live on TravelChannel.com with George! Now is your chance to ask him all of your burning burger questions: How does George make his own burgers? How did he become a burger expert? Join the chat tonight to learn all this and more when George talks burgers with YOU!
There’s more to Charlotte, NC, than NASCAR. In fact, the city also happens to be home to a few uniquely delicious burgers. George Motz learns this first-hand on an all-new episode of Burger Land, tonight at 9|8c!
From a burger slathered in chili and coleslaw and a jumbo cheeseburger at an old-school drive-in burger joint, to a double-decker burger smothered in Pimento cheese, find out what Southern-style burgers are all about.
Get a sneak peek of tonight’s episode with these behind-the-scenes photos. And don’t forget — we want to know where you get your favorite burgers, so submit your photos and share the juicy goodness!
On an all-new episode of Burger Land, burger aficionado George Motz explores Tennessee – from Memphis to Nashville – to taste the burgers that make this Southern state proud.
Pride is an understatement when it comes to the deep-fried burgers of Dyer’s in Memphis. One of the oldest burger joints in the country, Dyer’s credits their delicious patties to their 100-year-old grease. In fact, when the restaurant moved to its current Beale Street location, a police escort brought the grease to its new home.
Tonight at 9|8c, watch as George dives into this burger and more on Burger Land! Want to know where to get these delicious burgers? Check out our Tennessee Travel Guide for all the details!
Tonight at 9|8c, George heads to northern Mississippi to taste the state’s classic burgers that haven’t changed since the days of the Great Depression. He also gets a bite of a burger that goes nicely with the Mississippi blues.
The “dough” burger became a hit during the WWII era when beef rations were minimal. Burger slingers in the area began adding secret ingredients to the patties to get more out of the beef ration. Many burger joints in northern Mississippi maintain this tradition, bringing people from all over for a taste of the past.
Check out these behind-the-scenes photos, and don’t forget to tune in tonight at 9|8c to feast your eyes on some of the best burgers in Mississippi!
Tonight at 9|8c, George Motz heads to New Mexico for a taste of the Southwest’s green chile cheeseburger. New Mexico takes pride in their red and green chile peppers, and the chile cheeseburger has become a staunch New Mexican tradition.
Find out tonight what goes into these sweet and spicy, cheesy burgers, and why you definitely need to make a trip to New Mexico if you’re looking for a unique, delicious burger.
Check out these behind-the-scenes photos, and learn why New Mexico takes pride in its chiles!
Tonight at 9|8c, on an all-new episode of Burger Land, George heads down to Houston to find some of the best burgers in the Lone Star state. From deep-fried bacon to patties made with ground beef and brisket, the burgers in Houston are known for their Texas-sized flavor.
And did we mention it’s National Hamburger Month? Celebrate by feasting your eyes on our plethora of juicy burger photos, and submit your own burger close-ups in our My Favorite Burger community!
Tonight at its new time — 9|8c — an all-new episode of Burger Land follows hamburger expert George Motz as he heads down to New Orleans to find some of the most unique burger creations the Big Easy has to offer.
How about a cheeseburger served up on a crispy, yet fluffy, loaf of po’ boy bread? Or a smoky, gooey burger slathered with marinated mushrooms and shredded cheddar cheese? Hungry yet? We sure are!
Tune in tonight for a little of NOLA’s rich burger history and a lot of juicy burger goodness. But before you do, go to our My Favorite Burger community, and show us where you find your favorite burgers!
Tonight at 10|9c on an all-new episode of Burger Land, burger expert George Motz heads south — all the way south — to Miami to get a taste of the city’s multicultural flavors. In particular, he’s there to taste some Latin-inspired burgers.
George comes across 2 restaurants with a long history of competition between their own styles of the frita, a Cuban burger known for being topped with thin slices of fried potatoes.
He also finds a chorizo and beef burger served on plantains instead of a bun, as well as a burger so big and delicious, it had to be called the Latin Macho.
Do you know of a burger so delicious, it deserves its own minute of Internet fame? Then post your burger-tastic pictures to our My Favorite Burger photo gallery, and share your foodie find with the TravelChannel.com community!
Courtesy of Thinkstock
“¡Cuidado con los pajaros!” said the counter guy, as he pointed to my food on the table outside. I quickly figured out what he was saying, meanwhile birds were descending on our food.
After shooing the feathered scavengers away, my dad and I dove into our roasted chicken and Magna beers at El Verde BBQ. It’s the very definition of roadside dive as we could almost touch the cars going by. Following the advice of Anthony Bourdain, we had taken a chance on the place, pulled in, and began eating without fear.
Randomly, a grizzled man plopped down at our table. He said a greeting in Spanish that my dad responded to in between bites of juicy chicken. One reason I choose Puerto Rico for this father-son trip was because my dad taught himself Spanish. I figured he’d enjoy getting to use it.
Then the old man spoke to me in English: “It’s good that you bring your dad here. My dad is 90 now and we see each other often. That is good.” He also told us how long he had lived in the Puerto Rico, how much he liked his homeland and he offered some of his thoughts about life in general. Then he said goodbye and left.
As he got into his truck, all of the workers waved goodbye. We soon learned that the man we were talking to was the owner of the restaurant.
I liked his style. No showy welcome to his restaurant, no attempts to win our attention with a free beer and no questions about what we thought about the food. It was just a pleasant conversation from a pleasant man while eating pleasant food.
In the space of an hour, Puerto Rico taught us three lessons: watch out for birds stealing your food, random roadside dives are delicious and always welcome a stranger to the table.
Courtesy of Greg Stroud
- Written by Greg Stroud
Last week, we asked our Instagram followers to show us their favorite burgers, and a ton of you put shame aside and uploaded a mouthwatering, filtered photo.
Check out our top 15 Instagrams below, and don’t forget to watch tonight’s premiere of Burger Land at 10|9c for even more juicy, delicious and unique burger finds from around the country!
(In order, left to right)
1. @Sarahsudar – “fat kid heaven.” (Winghart’s Burger & Whiskey Bar, Pittsburgh)
2. @brecksss – “Hey @travelchannel check out this #BurgerLand #burgerbite from The Committed Pig in Manasquan, NJ! Two Pat Lafrieda ground steak patties, American cheese, ketchup on a #krispykreme donut! #BurgerLand #mouthwatering #jerseyshore”
3. @ khal22l – “This burger is outrageous.” (Big Pink, Miami)
4. @dbbistromiami – “The original db burger, best to try once or twice. #burgerland #db #dbistromiami #travelchannel #miami #burger #fries #foiegras #shortrib #jwmarriottmarquis” (DB Bistro, Miami)
5. @gluttontron – (Hopdoddy Burger Bar, Austin, TX)
6. @poestavern – “The #sleeper burger. Roasted garlic #bluecheese & #buffalo #fried #shrimp on a juicy house ground beef patty. #lunch of #champions” (Poe’s Tavern, Sullivan’s Island, SC)
7. @flyingphotog – “Presenting “El Shady” – beef, chorizo, cheese & sliced grilled jalapeño, topped by a fried egg. Incredible!!” (Shady’ Burger Joint, Richardson, TX)
8. @boochy13 – “Dinner time! Stuffed cheeseburger with bacon! #dinner #dinnertime #burger #cheeseburger #stuffedcheeseburger #food #foodpics #foodporn #sharefood @share_food #share_food #yummy #tasty”. @poestavern – “#burgeroftheday has #mozzarella #tomato #basil drizzled with a #balsamic reduction!#yum #chseats” (Poe’s Tavern, Sullivan’s Island, SC10. @nopo4 – (Emma Keys, Greensboro, NC)
10.@nopo4 – (Emma Keys, Greensboro, NC)
11. @laburgstagram- “LABurger with a side of K-fries. Photo credits: @namhannah #LABurger #food #photooftheday #burgers #fries #korean #american #fusion #instadaily” (LA Burger, Texas)
12. @vanhattenphoto – “Nothing beats a Miho burger! @amihoexperience” (MIHO Gastrotruck, San Diego, CA)
13. @syzeworld – (Fresno, CA)
14. @jcreich43 – “It’s a cheeseburger kind of day. #Food #BBQ
15. @laburgstagram- “Westcoast burger with swiss. #burgerland #LABurger” (LA Burger, Texas)