Tonight at 9|8c, George heads to northern Mississippi to taste the state’s classic burgers that haven’t changed since the days of the Great Depression. He also gets a bite of a burger that goes nicely with the Mississippi blues.
The “dough” burger became a hit during the WWII era when beef rations were minimal. Burger slingers in the area began adding secret ingredients to the patties to get more out of the beef ration. Many burger joints in northern Mississippi maintain this tradition, bringing people from all over for a taste of the past.
Check out these behind-the-scenes photos, and don’t forget to tune in tonight at 9|8c to feast your eyes on some of the best burgers in Mississippi!
Last week, we asked our Instagram followers to show us their favorite burgers, and a ton of you put shame aside and uploaded a mouthwatering, filtered photo.
Check out our top 15 Instagrams below, and don’t forget to watch tonight’s premiere of Burger Land at 10|9c for even more juicy, delicious and unique burger finds from around the country!
(In order, left to right)
1. @Sarahsudar – “fat kid heaven.” (Winghart’s Burger & Whiskey Bar, Pittsburgh)
2. @brecksss – “Hey @travelchannel check out this #BurgerLand #burgerbite from The Committed Pig in Manasquan, NJ! Two Pat Lafrieda ground steak patties, American cheese, ketchup on a #krispykreme donut! #BurgerLand #mouthwatering #jerseyshore”
3. @ khal22l – “This burger is outrageous.” (Big Pink, Miami)
4. @dbbistromiami – “The original db burger, best to try once or twice. #burgerland #db #dbistromiami #travelchannel #miami #burger #fries #foiegras #shortrib #jwmarriottmarquis” (DB Bistro, Miami)
5. @gluttontron – (Hopdoddy Burger Bar, Austin, TX)
6. @poestavern – “The #sleeper burger. Roasted garlic #bluecheese & #buffalo #fried #shrimp on a juicy house ground beef patty. #lunch of #champions” (Poe’s Tavern, Sullivan’s Island, SC)
7. @flyingphotog – “Presenting “El Shady” – beef, chorizo, cheese & sliced grilled jalapeño, topped by a fried egg. Incredible!!” (Shady’ Burger Joint, Richardson, TX)
8. @boochy13 – “Dinner time! Stuffed cheeseburger with bacon! #dinner #dinnertime #burger #cheeseburger #stuffedcheeseburger #food #foodpics #foodporn #sharefood @share_food #share_food #yummy #tasty”. @poestavern – “#burgeroftheday has #mozzarella #tomato #basil drizzled with a #balsamic reduction!#yum #chseats” (Poe’s Tavern, Sullivan’s Island, SC10. @nopo4 – (Emma Keys, Greensboro, NC)
10.@nopo4 – (Emma Keys, Greensboro, NC)
11. @laburgstagram- “LABurger with a side of K-fries. Photo credits: @namhannah #LABurger #food #photooftheday #burgers #fries #korean #american #fusion #instadaily” (LA Burger, Texas)
12. @vanhattenphoto – “Nothing beats a Miho burger! @amihoexperience” (MIHO Gastrotruck, San Diego, CA)
13. @syzeworld – (Fresno, CA)
14. @jcreich43 – “It’s a cheeseburger kind of day. #Food #BBQ
15. @laburgstagram- “Westcoast burger with swiss. #burgerland #LABurger” (LA Burger, Texas)
Travel Channel is dishing out comfort food that’s good for the belly and the soul: From rib-sticking, gravy-smothered oxtails in Houston to crispy fried catfish in Memphis and hot spicy gumbo in New Orleans, it’s time to scream out hallelujah, and enjoy these lip-smacking-good meals. Tonight at 11|10c, don’t miss out on these soulful Southern classics, as well as other delicious, heavenly fare like a decadently seasoned fried chicken, a delicious pecan pie and much more!
Hungry for more? Check out these exclusive, behind-the-scenes photos of soul food dishes that are sure to get your tummy rumbling.
Americans eat over 20 billion pounds of chicken every year, and this bountiful bird is most satisfying when it’s wrapped in a crispy, golden-brown skin that’s dripping with flavor and sizzling hot — straight from the fryer.
Fried Chicken Paradise is delivering a bucketful of crispy, finger-lickin’, fried chicken goodness! Sample fiery Memphis hot chicken, a wild red-velvet-battered bird and the original Kentucky fried classic, tonight at 11|10c.
Plus, don’t forget to check out exclusive photos from tonight’s episode.
Attention all you pizza lovers out there, Travel Channel is back with a second helping of Pizza Paradise. Travel from New York, where the pizza is as crispy as a potato chip, to Chicago, where they serve the deepest and most delicious dish in town.
If you love pizza — and let’s be honest, who doesn’t? — then join us for an all-new episode of Food Paradise, tonight at 11|10c.
Plus, don’t forget to check out behind-the-scenes photos that are sure to make you crave slice after slice of pizza perfection.
Calling all coffee junkies — we want to know where your favorite coffee is from! Are you a Papua New Guinea purist? An Ethiopian enthusiast? Instagram your favorite coffee with the hashtag #DangerousGrounds and we’ll feature our favorites next week, just in time for the Dangerous Grounds season finale!
Tonight, Todd Carmichael heads to one of the world’s least-explored countries — Papua New Guinea — on an all-new episode of Dangerous Grounds. He scours the villages of this Oceanic country in the hopes of finding delicious Blue Mountain Coffee. But first he must brave the notorious Highlands Highway that’s known to be ravaged by local bandits, giving it a reputation for armed robberies and murders.
Will Todd make it down the highway in one piece? Can he convince PNG’s villagers to part with their most prized commodity? Find out on an all-new episode tonight, Jan. 8 at 11|10c!
And don’t forget to Instagram your favorite coffee with #DangerousGrounds!
Bite in to a fresh new episode of Food Paradise tonight at 10|9c and enjoy some of America’s manliest places to get your grub on.
From a wild steakhouse in Texas to butcher-fresh burgers in Chicago and a towering mountain of meat in Manhattan, this episode of Food Paradise: Manliest Restaurants is sure to get your heart pounding and your metabolism moving.
Travel along the great Snake River and beneath the towering Teton mountains to the Snake River Brewing Company, Wyoming’s oldest and largest brew pub. Then, take a bite of the corned beef sandwich at Katz’s, the oldest and considered by many to be the best deli in New York City … and if you know New York delis, that’s saying something!
Until then, get a look at photos of some of the mouthwatering creations from the manliest restaurants in America.
By Valerie Conners
Editor’s Note: Todd Carmichael, the host of our new series Dangerous Grounds premiering tonight at 10|9c, is the cofounder of La Colombe Coffee Roasters. La Colombe is known for its premium coffee, sourced directly from the farmers by Todd, who goes to often-dangerous extremes to make sure his cafes are able to serve some of the world’s most sought-after and flavorful coffee. Dangerous Grounds documents Todd’s coffee-sourcing expeditions, and after tonight, the show will air Tuesdays at 9|8c. Travel Channel contributor Valerie Conners shares her experiences enjoying a cup of coffee at La Colombe, and proves that Todd’s passion for the flavorful bean is felt by anyone who drinks his prized coffee.
Tucked behind a simple storefront in Philadelphia’s tony Rittenhouse Square neighborhood lies La Colombe cafe, which proffers what many devout coffee drinkers would argue is the city’s — if not the country’s — tastiest coffee. To call La Colombe a mere coffee shop would be like calling Tiffany’s a mere jewelry store; La Colombe has brought coffee roasting to a veritable art form, and anyone in the neighborhood looking for a stellar cuppa knows to head straight to the cafe. READ MORE
OK, so yeah, the U.K.’s National Pig Association is warning of an impending bacon shortage, thanks to high feed costs. But don’t hit the panic button just yet, because there’s plenty of bacon to go around at Travel Channel.
On Wednesday, October 3 at 10|9c, don’t miss Food Paradise: Bacon, and in the meantime, try not to drool on your keyboard when you check out our Sizzling Bacon Porn photo gallery – from Chicago’s Paddy Long’s 5-pound Whole Bacon Bomb, a spicy mix of pork and cracked-pepper bacon, all wrapped in brown sugar bacon to the bacon-infused vodka martini at the Berkshire in Denver, CO. READ MORE
Discovery aired an Animal Planet documentary this past weekend called Mermaids: The Body Found. Unfortunately, a mermaid body has not been found, despite many internet crawlers’ assumptions. But cheer up, Ariel — here are some ways you can travel like a mermaid (and, no, it doesn’t involve growing a tail).
Eat Like a Mermaid
*Dine lakeside on fresh seafood at the Mermaid Café in Mississippi.
*Enjoy the eclectic atmosphere as you fill up on Floridian cuisine under the sea-green tin roof of the Sign of the Mermaid Restaurant on Anna Maria island in Florida.