Whether you were waiting to see if the world ended first or you are just a procrastinator every year, don’t fret! There’s still time to get last-minute gifts for the traveler in your life — the best part, these 5 gift ideas don’t even require shipping.
1. Airline Miles or Gift Cards — Give the gift of travel and treat the jetsetter in your life to airline miles or a gift card toward their next flight. American Airlines and United Airlines offer incentives for giving miles with bonus miles for the gifter as well.
2. Travel-Inspiring Books — For all the book lovers on your list, there’s bound to be a book for every travel personality. Some of our favorite books this year were those that inspired wanderlust: Hike the Pacific Crest Trail with Cheryl Strayed in Wild; ride along with travel writer and former actor Andrew McCarthy in The Longest Way Home ; and choose what’s next on your bucket list with National Geographic’s World’s Best Travel Experiences: 400 Extraordinary Places.
3. Gift of Language — Have someone on your list who’s about to take a trip? Help them learn the language before they go. You can usually pick up Rosetta Stone language programs at airports. Also LiveMocha offers 38 courses you can buy online. You’ll be hearing merci, danke, grazie … in no time.
4. Edible Gifts — Help the foodie traveler on your list relive their favorite trip with gifts fit for consumption. Curry spices from Thailand, rooibos tea from South Africa, coffee from Costa Rica, malbec wine from Chile … pick a taste from around the world. World Market is a great place to pick up international goods or even your local Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods is bound to carry a few things for those seeking worldly tastes
5. LivingSocial Escapes and Adventures — What do you give someone who has everything? You can never have enough travel experiences! LivingSocial’s Escapes offer travel getaways like a 5-day surf camp in Hawaii or a Flurry of Family Fun in Vermont . Or give your loved one a fun thing to try in their very own city, such as an introductory flight lesson or photography class.